KTIS yesterday I heard a question that got me thinking. I can't remember it exactly (they said it so well though) but it was something to the point like...


"Is all art good and glorifying and pleasing to God?" Actually I think is was more like "Can all (or any) art surpass morality?" That was more like the actual question...Can art surpass human morality? In my mind - I got a few border line ideas. Like ok - not condemning anything here but - is it "ok" to draw naked people for an art class, even though our nakedness should not really be revealed to anyone outside of our spouse (if we have one)? I mean we sinned in the beginning and God covered us for a reason. So if I was in an art class (I don't do art but still...the question remains...) and I had to draw pictures of people posing naked in front of me - is that "ok" because it's "just art" or does morality still surpass this artistic idea. And what does the Bible say about it?


That's my big ponder of the week...let me know if you have an opinion! I'm serious - I would really like to know because that's something I have no opinion on yet...

Comments

  1. hmmm...lets see...right now I am late to work and I am yet again at the U's cyber coffee thing haha...anyway...hmmm I am an art major kinda(graphic design)...and I have to take like art classes and stuff...well and I am christian as well...my opinion on that would be that it is not ok. for me it would be something that would disturb me...and eh, thats not art...art is something that comes from your heart...not something that would make you feel uncomfortable...so nope. until next time ttyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thats a super long comment I left.  heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...I used to be totally opposed to the idea.  And then I had to do a lot of figuring it out since I have to take a nude drawing class in order to get my major.The point of drawing nudes is to understand underlying structures (and seriously it does help).  If that is the sole purpose - I don't think God has anything against understanding His creation.  I think He's praised when we are interested in learning about anything He made.  Unfortunately, it's sometimes done in a way which could be a stumbling block for some people (into lust), and in that case it's definately dangerous.  I think it's kind of all how you take it, ya know - kind of like some people can listen to secular music and be fine, and others are dragged down by it.  Romans 14:14-23.  You need to realize how you as a person are affected by situations, and then go from there.On the other hand: showing nude paintings and such in a museum setting or whatever... I do have a problem with that.  Because then it's no longer about understanding - its just seeing too much.Too often art is used as an excuse for surpassing morality.  No, something being art does not give it rights to surpass morality... but sometimes the reason behind the art can be moral even if it doesn't appear so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog